Fort Myers, Florida
Director of Development
Bishop Verot High School’s Mission and Programs
Founded in 1962 and located in beautiful Fort Myers, Florida and part of the Diocese of Venice, Bishop Verot has a rich tradition of academic excellence where the Catholic faith is celebrated in everything they do. The mission of Bishop Verot Catholic High School is to build relationships centered on faith, learning, and leadership devoted to educating the whole person, utilizing innovative technologies, empowering students through collaborative experiences, and cultivating a spirit of service while grounded in our relationship with Jesus Christ.
Purpose and Scope of the Position
To support Bishop Verot in its mission, the Director of Development will be directly responsible for successfully leading, expanding, and implementing a comprehensive advancement program. In collaboration with the Principal and Board of Directors, the Director of Development will develop new relationships while maintaining and growing existing ones and building the school’s visibility, impact, and philanthropic resources. This position will be responsible for leading Bishop Verot High School’s future capital campaign(s).
Additionally, the Director of Development will be responsible for major and planned gifts, donor stewardship, alumni relations, volunteer cultivation, corporate philanthropic support, constituent communications, and social media functions for Advancement. The Director of Development reports to the Principal.
The ideal candidate has advancement leadership experience, including the ability to motivate others (e.g. donors, alumni, staff, volunteers, and community leaders) in advancing the school’s mission through their meaningful contribution of gifts and talents, as well as a proven track record in soliciting and securing major gifts and building productive relationships with a variety of constituents. Experience in advancement for educational institutions is preferred.
Philanthropic Revenue and Institutional Advancement
- Create and lead a metrics-focused institutional advancement program that generates financial support for Bishop Verot High School from individuals, foundations, corporations and grants
- Create a coordinated communication plan, including print and digital tools to advance the philanthropic message, motivate giving, and demonstrate gift impact
- Partner with the Principal and Board of Directors to articulate institutional needs and lead the growth and implementation of the advancement strategy
Major/ Capital and Planned Gifts
- Identify and cultivate prospects for transformational and leadership support through philanthropy and engagement.
- Create and maintain a Moves Management plan for prospective major donors
- Establish a planned gift program through marketing and individualized promotion
- Develop and execute a robust plan for outreach to Bishop Verot’s alumni, including a plan for increasing philanthropic support by alumni
- Conduct one-on-one and/or small group meetings with prospects and donors
Management Team, Board and Committee Guidance
- Work closely with the Principal and Board to steward and deepen existing relationships and cultivate new advocates and supporters
- Attend Board and committee meetings and report on advancement activities, as requested; the Director of Development serves on the School Board Marketing Committee
- Serve as a visible ambassador for Bishop Verot and articulate its mission to external constituents
Internal Management and Infrastructure
- Train, manage and mentor volunteers, and support staff in donor cultivation and professional fundraising techniques to ensure support of the school’s revenue growth goals
- Effectively oversee the development office’s day-to-day operations, as well as budget and fundraising revenue forecasts
- Oversee the planning of special event activities including event logistics, and identifying and soliciting major sponsors
- Ensure consistent messaging and branding in all print and digital donor communication
- Partner with the finance and accounting staff to sustain efficient, effective and transparent financial tracking and reporting processes
- Develop clear processes and collaborate with all other departments within Bishop Verot to create an understanding of and appreciation for the advancement function
Foundation & Grants
- Guide the research, proposal, and follow-up strategy for outreach to foundations and corporations
Additional Job Functions
- Perform other position-related duties as necessary and/or as assigned by the Principal
- Desire to foster an environment of cohesiveness and collaboration
- Ability to support and motivate a wide range of individuals – staff and volunteers – on all levels
- Strong organizational skills including goal setting, prioritization and team management
- Proactive ability to network and cultivate relationships
- Exceptional communication and influencing skills: persuasive, credible and polished in both verbal and written communications
- Creative, independent, and strategic thinker
- Self-starter with a proven ability to meet and complete multiple tasks with solid deadlines
- A commitment to supporting the mission and Catholic values of Bishop Verot High School
- BA (required); MA, a plus
- Professional certification (CFRE), a plus
- A minimum of three to five years in planning and administering advancement programs
- Demonstrated fundraising success within a comprehensive advancement program
- Previous engagement and collaboration with both staff and Board members
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, and CRM software
- Proven writing skills
- Evening/weekend work occasionally required as well as travel for prospect meetings
- Valid driver’s license
Salary and Benefits:
- Full complement of competitive benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
This search is being conducted by the Executive Search Division of Ruotolo Associates Inc. Inquiries regarding this position are strictly confidential and should be directed to: [email protected]. Interested applicants are requested to submit a resume and cover letter with salary range. References will be requested of all finalists but may be submitted along with resume and cover letter.
Bishop Verot High School is an equal-opportunity employer.